Thanks to Phil Wood who took the above photo whilst levitating above the Village
St Simons and St Judes Anglican Church is representative of early buildings with its high pitched roof.
The cornerstone was laid on the 27th of October 1884 and the building consecrated in 1885.
The Church building and grounds are currently being refurbished - with the majority of the work targeted for completion by the 125th year Celebrations on November 1st 2009.
On Sunday November 1st, Bishop John Harrower arrived at the Woodbridge Jetty via the Marine Discovery Centre boat, the Penghana under the guidance of Captain Tim (Nossiter),
and processed with a large number of locals and visitors to the Church - as was done by the earlier Bishop of Hobart in 1844 - to mark the 125th anniversary of St Simon and St Judes Church.
Also, as per the original Bishop's visit the crowd processed along the Channel Highway through the village.
with a musical background of ...'when the Saints Go Marching in'...provided by the Bruny Island Jazz Band
The anniversary service, led by The Rev Julie Kelley, was then conducted in the Church
During the Service there were various items such as a skit on the Parish Buildings Committee:
and historical details of those before us were provided by Leonie Beaumont (Edwards)
whilst David Edwards was interviewed by Julie re his involvement with the Church over many years - his Mother being married there in 1915
The Bishop detailed some of the historic documentation of the Church including describing the laying of the initial cornerstone
Alice Sackett (Edwards) was presented with a "Bishop's Emeritus Award" in recognition of her many years of service to the Church and the Local Community
The Service was followed by a luncheon at the Woodbridge Hall.
where a large gathering had an enjoyable meal
With entertainment provided by the Bruny Island Jazz Band
with all tables taken, some even had to resort to the side aisle seating
- and Grandma and Grandpa still obviously enjoyed their lunch!
the launching of a booklet covering the Channel Mission during and earlier than the Church's 125 year history, written by Julie and Leonie with Graphics by Kim Deane was done by Graham Rae.
Copies of the book are available for $12.00 posted from Julie. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange to purchase your copy.